Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US resident musician who worked 70 days in Toronto paid by a CA company. Received a T4A-NR with income, travel expenses, income tax deducted. Do I need to file? Turbotax?

Not sure if I need to file a CA return, or if the withholding covers my liability in full.  $30k income, $12k travel expenses, $5k income tax deducted, 2 reduction authorized, recipient code 1. I have no idea where to even start. Can I use turbotax to file? If so, which version? Do I need a CA ID number? 

3 Replies

US resident musician who worked 70 days in Toronto paid by a CA company. Received a T4A-NR with income, travel expenses, income tax deducted. Do I need to file? Turbotax?

Generally, as a non-resident, you would need to file a CA return if:

• you were employed in Canada;
  • you carried on business in Canada; or
  • you disposed of property in Canada.

None of these seems to apply to your situation. HOWEVER, you may still want to file a return if you want to claim a refund. 

TurboTax Standard is our most popular version, which should take care of your situation. However, non-resident filings are on the complicated side, so you may want to get one of our experts to review your return.

Lastly, if you decide to file a return, then yes, you will need an Individual Tax Number (in lieu of the Social Insurance Number). You will need to contact CRA for this.

I was only paid once, and I thought it was the US company that paid me (my pay is direct deposited). I think the Canadian company listed on the T4A-NR must be some sort of a subsidiary of the American company. My contract is to perform services for the US company. It looks like I had 15% of the gross income withheld.

I think my original answer still applies in your situation. If you think you are going to get a refund (because they've over deducted on your Canadian wages), then you should file a Canadian return. Otherwise, I think you just need to report the amount on a US return and you may be entitled to a foreign tax credit. The T4A-NR is proof of taxes withheld in Canada for the purposes of the foreign tax credit.