Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am closing a small business. I have to show a deemed disposition of my car, causing a CCA Recap. Is there a way to show only the Business Use portion of CCA Recap?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am closing a small business. I have to show a deemed disposition of my car, causing a CCA Recap. Is there a way to show only the Business Use portion of CCA Recap?

If your vehicle was reported on business from in prior years   and you are disposing it from business to personal use bue to business closure you should use your UCC at the beginning of the year as proceeds of disposition. This will have no loss/no gain  outcome and your past year deductions for business use will be fully honored.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If your vehicle was reported on business from in prior years   and you are disposing it from business to personal use bue to business closure you should use your UCC at the beginning of the year as proceeds of disposition. This will have no loss/no gain  outcome and your past year deductions for business use will be fully honored.

Thanks Tatsiana for taking the time to reply.  Your answer is helpful and is one reasonable and correct way to deal with the problem.  Apparently the value deemed disposition should be at "Fair Market Value".  Most accountants use "Canadian Black Book" to set that value.  I have also found out that TurboTax automatically uses only the Business Portion of the CCA Recapture or Terminal Loss for a vehicle (based on that year's business use).  That makes the whole situation fair (i.e. if a Recap happens, it is just correcting for an over-deduction of Capital value that I had claimed previously).  Thanks again!