Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mowaisk

PR since Nov17, have ID,SIN & bankaccount & property in Canada (rented).not lived in canada since pr(landed oct17-1 week).Do I need to pay taxes on my global income or ?

Hi

I had received my Canadian PR on Nov 22,2017. I did my first landing in Oct 2017. Whilst I was there I also applied for a SIN, provincial ID and opened up a bank account. I don’t have a Canadian driver license nor do I have health card. I was there for two weeks and since then I have been living and working in Dubai. 

In Mar 2018 I bought a property in Canada and have rented it through a real estate agent. Every month the rental amount is deposited in my bank account. The activities on the bank account are related to the property only : receiving rent, paying property management fee, paying condo fee, paying property taxes. I already paid property taxes for 2018. 

I have not visited Canada since my first trip in Oct 2017. Also I do not have any family members in Canada. 

Next year I will need to file for income taxes on the rental income from my Canada property. My question is : do I need to pay tax on my income in Dubai and elsewhere also ? 

I would appreciate your feedback on the above. 

Thanks & bests. 

Ovees.
1 Reply

PR since Nov17, have ID,SIN & bankaccount & property in Canada (rented).not lived in canada since pr(landed oct17-1 week).Do I need to pay taxes on my global income or ?

Your best course of action is to contact CRA directly.

From what you have indicated, it appears that you are not physically a resident of Canada, nor have you been for more than a year. In most situations like this, you would file as a non-resident and pay taxes on only your Canadian income. However, CRA considers residency status and related tax obligations on a case-by-case basis. It's best to contact them directly. Here's the link: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/international-tax-non-resident...