Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EchBee

RRSP limit for new immigrant before NOA is received.

I landed in December 2017 as a permanent resident in Canada. However I went back to my home country after 15 days and came back permanently to Canada in February 2018. I have been working here since then. The following are my questions:

1. Should I've filed my tax returns for 2017 as well? If yes, is there anything that can be done now about it?

2. I know that my RRSP contribution limit is decided once I receive my NOA from CRA. However, I am planning to buy a home in the next few months and I plan to use my RRSP limits to get HBP withdrawal from RRSP. Since HBP withdrawal requires funds to be in RRSP for atleast 90 days I am thinking of investing my money into RRSP as soon as possible. Can anyone provide any safe ballpark numbers on my RRSP limits given that I earned $82000 in 2018?

1 Reply

RRSP limit for new immigrant before NOA is received.

1. In regards to your first question, the following information is from the CRA documentation "Newcomers to Canada". If you are required to file a 2017 tax return, you can still do so, but CRA will have to advise you if it can be NetFiled or needs to be submitted by paper.

• Even if you lived in Canada for only part of the year, you may have to file a tax return. For example, you have to file a tax return if you have to pay tax, if you want to claim a refund, or if you want to get benefit and credit payments. Even if you have not received income in the year, you have to file a tax return so that the CRA can determine if you are eligible for the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit, or if you or your spouse want to begin or continue receiving the Canada child benefit and payments from certain related provincial or territorial programs.

2. Your RRSP contribution limit for 2018 is 18% of earned income you reported on your tax return in the previous year, up to a maximum of $26,230. On $82,000, that figure works out to $6,560. Again, you should contact CRA and they can verify these figures for you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving...