Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I transfer/import my TurboTax data using the software from my computer for years to the TurboTax online? If yes, how many years back can I transfer/import?

I have been using Turbotax software for years. I have my data for past years on my computer in case I need them for auditing or any other reason.

I'd like to start using the online service but I'm not sure if I can transfer/import my data for previous years, not just last year.

2 Replies

Can I transfer/import my TurboTax data using the software from my computer for years to the TurboTax online? If yes, how many years back can I transfer/import?

The online version stores three years; 2016, 2017 & 2018. If you need to access further back, you will have to go to your MyCRA account here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/cra-login-services.html

Please see link from TurboTax on how to transfer (if needed):

In TurboTax Online, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts, etc.) from my previous year's tax return?

This is not working for me. I am simply trying to transfer my 2018 data from last year from the CD version of the product into this year so the information is carried over to the return.

I followed all the instructions, and when I start a new return and indicate that I used the CD version last year, it is apparently supposed to prompt me to upload last year's file. I never get this prompt and turbotax just jumps directly into the interview questions.

I have my broswer's popups allowed, so I don't know what I am missing. I am using the most current version of Google Chrome.