Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Principal residence designation worksheet: what does it mean....If yes, are you electing out of the automatic rollover on disposition of capital property to a spouse?

I have designated 1/2 of the disposition to my spouse. Then this question comes up wants a yes or no.

What exactly does it mean automatic rollover on disposition of capital property to a spouse?

3 Replies

Principal residence designation worksheet: what does it mean....If yes, are you electing out of the automatic rollover on disposition of capital property to a spouse?

Income Tax rules allow for an automatic rollover of capital property to a spouse for tax purposes when a taxpayer dies. This is often done to make use of a deceased taxpayer’s capital gains exemption.

So, if your spouse is still alive then the question doesn’t really matter much.

djenks5

We still have to answer the question.  "Doesn't matter much" I am sure is true but if our spouse is still alive are we to answer the question "are you electing out of the automatic rollover....." we need to say YES or NO?

@djenks5 Unless you are going to make the election, then leave it at NO. If neither you or your spouse is deceased, then there is no point in making the election, because there will be no automatic roll over.