Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do TD1s work with T2202A?

What overcomplicates my situation is that I claimed "tuition" on my TD1 forms. I understand how to enter my T2202A, but how does my T2202A work with the federal and provincial TD1s?

An accountant at my company told me that my "tax software" should have a way of entering information from TD1s, and the software will figure out the rest. However, I was NOT able to find this in TurboTax, is there a way?

Also, could anyone explain how TD1(s) work with the T2202A, I have already claimed the tuition amount + $$$ per semester being a full-time student, what do I subtract from what?

TY.

3 Replies

You do not enter any information on your T1 General Tax Return from your TD1 forms. The TD1 forms are used by your employer to calculate how much tax they withhold from your pay cheques. If you filled out the forms to include the fact that you were a student and would be claiming tuition amounts, it simply means that you will have less tax withheld at source. 

Here's some more information from TurboTax about the TD1 tax form: https://bit.ly/2GUibo7

I am still confused. My T2202A shows $5000, but on my provincial TD1 I wrote a bigger amount, because I also added "$753 for each month that [I] will be [a full-time student]", $13000. Plus, I have been a student for 12 months, however, I only worked for 8 months in 2018, this situation is really confusing....

I know it sounds confusing but you really do not have to concerned with that TD1 form any longer. It is only used by your employer to calculate the taxes you have taken off each paycheque. Make your entries in TurboTax from your T2202A and your T4 and the software will perform the calculations for you based on these figures. The worst case scenario is that your employer did not withhold enough taxes from your pay, but you cannot change that now.