Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beaudoiin

Wrong provincial tax rate applied

Wrong tax rate - my taxable income is 260 Taxable income 43,507.38 yet my provincial tax is 2,219.09 which is 5.1%.

In ontario the tax bracket over 42,960. Why is turbo tax not taking me at the 9.15% rate? (also I have credits that reduce this later. but this is the ontario income tax before the credits.)  

I need to know because if I end up owing 1783.80258 more for my provincial taxes. I can reduce this by putting into RRSP 547.38 giving me a return of 1236.42 and some money to rrsp.

But If I am not being taxed at 9.15% then i don't want to contribute to rrsp at this time

any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tax on income in Ontario is 5.1% on the first $42,960 and then jumps to 9.15% on the amount over this threshold.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Tax on income in Ontario is 5.1% on the first $42,960 and then jumps to 9.15% on the amount over this threshold.

beaudoiin

This doesnt answer my question. I am assuming you are saying that once you get over 42,960 everything is taxed at 9.15? As I mentioned above.. I don't think that it taxes the first amount at 5.1% then everything after at 9.15% allowing to have some income in one bracket and the rest of the income in another bracket. I never read that it works like this any where...

The software carries the income forward in to the second column but it does tax the first threshold at the prescribed rate of 5.1%.