Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ottgrl78

Climate Action Incentive - How do I respond to questions regarding a step child

I have a step child (husband's child) who we claim as a dependent living with us but that her mother claims the tax credits for her.  This way we get baby bonus and fitness credits from years past. My question is for the Climate Action Incentive credit.  When I go through the steps there are questions that come up regarding this child. Wondering how I would answer them as I don't want to make a claim for her and increase our amount if her data is to only be claimed by one parent. 

2 Replies

To exclude the credit for a dependant, change the last qualifying question to No. If you indicate that the child is claiming the credit on their own return, that allows the other parent to claim the credit.

bs-tax

This should really be articulated by the program as it took me some time to find this answer.  There is no intuitive way to figure out how to specify that you DON'T want to apply for the dependent credit.  In my case, my separated wife is applying so I simply wanted to say 'no'.  Perhaps the question should state is the dependent or someone else applying for this credit.