Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diandtom

Do I have do another designation of property as a principle residence? Sold house 2017. Already claim this in the 2017 tax year form. How do I pass this on 2018 taxes?

So I filled out the Designation of Propery as a Principal Residence, as well as Schedule 3 Capital Gains and Losses.  I did check the box 1 (179) Principal residence designation on that schedule.

Trying to do the 2018 tax year, and I get to a point where it say if you sold property 2016 and on you must claim, and then our names are there so.. I tried to get past it, but it won't let me, so then I clicked our names, and up comes the forms to fill yet again about the property, taxes, etc.  We have nothing to claim on this,  It was done in 2017.  Do I still have to fill it out again?  How can I get past it?

1 Reply

Do I have do another designation of property as a principle residence? Sold house 2017. Already claim this in the 2017 tax year form. How do I pass this on 2018 taxes?

You only have to fill out the Designation of Property as a Principal Residence when you sell or are considered to have sold all or part of your home. If you already reported the sale of your home in 2017, unless you've sold another Principal Residence in 2018, there's no need to fill in the form.