Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgilmour

Is form T2201(Disability amt.) appropriate as Mom claims her rent at a long term care facility and permanently placed in wheel chair in 2018?

My mom stopped walking in 2018 and requires assistance for basic functions of eating, toileting, etc. I wonder if she is to claim both her rent at the facility as well as the disability amount. I have not considered the Disability Amount previous years but now that she is in a wheel chair she is disabled both physically and mentally (dementia).

1 Reply

Is form T2201(Disability amt.) appropriate as Mom claims her rent at a long term care facility and permanently placed in wheel chair in 2018?

So sorry to hear about your mom. 

There's no harm in applying for the DTC. If your mom qualifies, it may open up other doors for provincial programs so there's nothing to lose.

There are certain caps associated with claiming both the disability amount and nursing home medical expenses. CRA has a great chart that breaks down the situation: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4065/medical-expe...