Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We disposed of a property(s) in 2018, that was our principal residence. The residence was in both our names. Do I answer yes for both of us on the return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We disposed of a property(s) in 2018, that was our principal residence. The residence was in both our names. Do I answer yes for both of us on the return?

Yes. For the Adjusted Cost Base, slip the amount between the two of you. For example: If your ACB is 100000 and you have split the ownership 50/50, then you would put 50000 for each of you. Don't split the proceeds of disposition, though.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes. For the Adjusted Cost Base, slip the amount between the two of you. For example: If your ACB is 100000 and you have split the ownership 50/50, then you would put 50000 for each of you. Don't split the proceeds of disposition, though.

Why would I split one and not the other?

TurboTax will split the proceeds of disposition for you based on the percentage of the split. With the ACB it doesn't split automatically because the two partners may have different ACBs.