Should I as a canadian report $80US dividend income on Premiere turbotax or I am better off not do it?

I am a canadian and have invested in my employer's stock since 2017. I had an $80US Dividend income in 2018 and $29US dividend income in 2017 which I didn't report last year.

Is necessary for me to report them since they are so low and if yes can I report both this year on my 2018 return, and lastly where on premiere turbotax should I enter the figures?


It’s all done under the Income tab – Tslips – Foreign Income.

Also, enter any taxes paid to the US as well.

Here is more on this form from TurboTax - What do I do with Form 1042-S from the IRS? -

What types of income are reported on Form 1042-S?

Form 1042-S reports taxable federal income and the corresponding federal tax withholding relating to the following types of income received by U.S. nonresidents:

  • Wage payments made to employees who have claimed tax treaty benefits
  • Tax reportable Fellowship/Scholarship income
  • Service payments made to independent contractors for work performed in the U.S.
  • Royalty payments issued to individuals or entities.
  • Non-employee Prize or Award payments

From the 1042-S Form

"Generally, every nonresident alien individual, nonresident alien fiduciary, and foreign corporation with United States income, including income that is effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States, must file a United States income tax return.

However, no return is required to be filed by a nonresident alien individual, nonresident alien fiduciary, or foreign corporation if such person was not engaged in a trade or business in the United States at any time during the tax year and if the tax liability of such person was fully satisfied by the withholding of United States tax at the source. Corporations file Form 1120-F; all others file Form 1040NR (or Form 1040NR-EZ if eligible). You may get the return forms and instructions at any United States Embassy or consulate or by writing to: Internal Revenue Service, 1201 N. Mitsubishi Motorway, Bloomington, IL 61705-6613"

Are you Canadian?

We found a few helpful articles about what a Canadian taxpayer might have to do with the 1042-S form they received.


Was this answer helpful? Yes No

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community