Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you not file your taxes for free in you are low income?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax offers a Free version of the software which can be used by any taxpayer to prepare all types of tax returns. 

However, many features available with our paid versions are not available to Free users. The attached link shows complete comparisons between all versions of TurboTax. 

If you choose to start your return using Free, if at any time you choose to "upgrade" or add a feature such as "Audit Defense" or "Plus" package, you are no longer preparing a Free return and will be asked to pay for these features or upgrades before filing. You cannot "downgrade". 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-tax-software/online-tax-software.jsp 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

TurboTax offers a Free version of the software which can be used by any taxpayer to prepare all types of tax returns. 

However, many features available with our paid versions are not available to Free users. The attached link shows complete comparisons between all versions of TurboTax. 

If you choose to start your return using Free, if at any time you choose to "upgrade" or add a feature such as "Audit Defense" or "Plus" package, you are no longer preparing a Free return and will be asked to pay for these features or upgrades before filing. You cannot "downgrade". 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-tax-software/online-tax-software.jsp 

I don’t have any slips to enter. Only rent receipt and I got married last year but the sponsorship hasn’t been accepted yet.  I’m on disability for life and I don’t pay any taxes that I can claim. In this situation is the free still my best choice.

Because I paid for standard last year it getting me to continue with standard again this year when I log in. How do I go about switching to the free version

You'll have to start a "new return" in the Free version if you don't want to continue with a paid version like you have used in the past. You are unable to transfer your information from before into the Free version, but you can still use the CRA AutoFill to import your tax slips and other information after completing your basic personal information. Simply sign in to your existing Online TurboTax account and choose and start your return with the "Free" version. :smile::smile: