Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 2014 I had tuition ($16,000) and I am getting a refund. How much of my tuition I should claim in the current year, vs. carry forward? (to reduce paying tax in future).

I can't tell what amounts are being applied vs. carried forward automatically, if any. 
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In 2014 I had tuition ($16,000) and I am getting a refund. How much of my tuition I should claim in the current year, vs. carry forward? (to reduce paying tax in future).

Using Turbo Tax Free, click on the magnifying glass on the top right. Then download a PDF copy, review your schedule 1 to see the amount that is being reporting on Line 323. You should also see a Schedule 11 following in the document where you can see further detail.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Using Turbo Tax Free, click on the magnifying glass on the top right. Then download a PDF copy, review your schedule 1 to see the amount that is being reporting on Line 323. You should also see a Schedule 11 following in the document where you can see further detail.

The size of the refund depends on how much tax you paid.  More tuition used will cause more of your withheld tax to be refunded.  It will get to the point where no matter how much tuition you use, the refund will not change.

Agreed - my response was to "I can't tell what amounts are being applied vs. carried forward automatically".  Cheers.

Thank you both -  super helpful and issue sorted!

If you are already getting a refund, some of your tuition may have already been applied to reduce your income tax to zero.  The refund would then consist of income tax you have previously paid.  Claiming more tuition will not increase your refund.  It is a non-refundable credit.

Hi thanks for your answer, I find the refund confusing because without any tuition, I'm in refund status, if I add my tuition I get more of a refund, and if I add partial tuition, I get partial, so it seems that my refund goes up in relation to my tuition. But what I want to do is see what amount I can carry forward, if any, and not apply all of it in the current year.