Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a house in my name in my country of origin. My mom resides there rent free. I get no profit from it. Should I declare it? Its price was below 100000CAD when bought

I just don't seem to understand if I should be qualifying it for the T1135. I came to Canada in 2015 and the house was already in my name before that. 

1 Reply

I have a house in my name in my country of origin. My mom resides there rent free. I get no profit from it. Should I declare it? Its price was below 100000CAD when bought

No, you do not need to declare this on the T1135 form. The following CRA example states; 

Real property

38. If an individual owns a condominium in Florida that has a cost amount of $120,000, is the property specified foreign property for the purposes of Form T1135 if the condominium is:

A)used exclusively by the taxpayer as a vacation property?

B)rented out for eight months of the year with a reasonable expectation of profit and kept for personal use the other four months?

C)rented out for part of the year without a reasonable expectation of profit for the purpose of recovering a portion of condominium expenses? (meaning a family member living in and paying little or no rent)

In situation (c), if there is no reasonable expectation of profit and the individual is merely recovering part of the condominium expenses, the CRA will consider it a personal-use property. As such, the property is not a specified foreign property and is excluded from the reporting requirements of Form T1135.