Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hopper500

When I enter a foreign income slip I suddenly owe $4000 in tax which isn't right. Why is this happening?

5 Replies

When I enter a foreign income slip I suddenly owe $4000 in tax which isn't right. Why is this happening?

Generally, when you have foreign income, if the income is not taxed in the foreign country and is it’s not tax exempt, then Canada will tax it. So your tax due will increase when you add it.

hopper500

I did enter the amount of tax paid on this income, but still the taxes to be paid seem incorrectly high.  I wouldn't even pay this much tax in the country in which the money was earned which to me flags it as incorrect.

I've got the same issue! My husband and I have income from another country ('other income' and 'self-employed income') and when I enter that, also with the amount of taxes paid, Turbotax just keeps adding thousands of dollars of taxes to be paid.

But the whole amount should be exempt from the tax-balance, since the taxes on that have already been paid in that country. I can't seem to find how to get it right, where to fill in the numbers etc.

Wondering if you figured it out and hopefully can help me as well now 🙂

Did you figure it out? I'd love to hear the solution!

lbye

I am also curious as I am having the same problem when I enter my Australian payslips (including paying Australian tax) and it says I owe thousands!?! any help would be great! @TurboTaxSusan @hopper500 @dutchiesinbc