Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shiva_gupta
Returning Member

1. Can I still register for direct deposit if non-resident, first time filer(bymail) & no CRA account? 2. What to enter in T1-GEN for line 48900 (Turbo Tax EFILE number)?

9 Replies

1. Can I still register for direct deposit if non-resident, first time filer(bymail) & no CRA account? 2. What to enter in T1-GEN for line 48900 (Turbo Tax EFILE number)?

If you have a Canadian bank account, then yes, you can register for direct deposit. You can download the Direct Deposit Request for Non-Residents here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/nr304.html

TurboTax doesn't use EFILE, so that number isn't required.

shiva_gupta
Returning Member

Thank you for the response!

I may not have Non-resident account number (when can someone have it?)  as I am filing my return for the very first time with CRA and not filing Application for Refund of Part XIII Tax Withheld (NR7-R) either. Can I still request CRA to direct deposit any of my refund?

Also, for filing my paper written do I just have to mail T1 GENERAL - 2019 CONDENSED to Winnipeg Tax Centre? Or is there anything else I need to do?

I am not aware of the Canada return as filing it very first time and I am a non resident and lives in USA.

Please help!

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

This is the only form we know of for direct deposit since you don't have an account with CRA yet. You might want to call them and set up the direct deposit over the phone 1800-959-8281.

The only way to file the return is by mail to one of these centers:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/where-mail-your-paper-t1-retur...

I hope this was helpful

shiva_gupta
Returning Member

I think non-resident first time filers are not eligible for CRA account opening. Is that correct?

Also, I know where to send my return but what to send as a return document is it T1 GENERAL - 2019 CONDENSED?

From Turbo Tax I received only T1 GENERAL - 2019 CONDENSED as a return doc. So should I send this alone or anything else?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

You cannot open a CRA "my account" until you become a resident. 

The condensed form is all that CRA requires because it has a code on the front page that when they scan, it unlocks all the schedules you used to fill the return.

If you used a T1135 (Statment of Foreign Income Verification), statements of foreign income, income slips that were not provided by a Canadian work source, or any other forms that were not included in the software, please do attach them when mailing your return.

I hope this was helpful

shiva_gupta
Returning Member

I am filing through TurboTax and I don't have a barcode on my T1-General Condensed.

Also, I just have T4 as an Income document. Can you please tell me if just sending T1-General Condensed without bar code is enough for filing the return.

Note: I am filing this return very first time and I am non resident don't have a CRA account.

Please suggest.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If you are filing a T1-general condensed form > there will be a barcode.

If you are filing Income Tax return for Election under section 216 for non-resident because don't have a temporary SIN number and you are filing with a Temporary number > then you will not have a barcode, and you only file the condensed form you have.

I hope this was helpful

shiva_gupta
Returning Member

I do have a SIN number starts with 9 (For Temporary worker). I am filing it through Turbo tax and Turbo Tax generated the T1-General-Condensed without any Barcode.

Also I am not filing under Election under section 216 for non-resident. 

Can you please confirm why my T1-General-Condensed is not having a bar code and if I file without a bar code will it be a problem?

It will not be a problem if you file without your barcode. There are legitimate scenarios where a barcode will not be printed. You can confidently mail in what was printed.