Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
be77yboop
Returning Member

How can I do a couple return as I forgot how I did it last year? If someone could give me step by step instructions to do this?

Need to know if I do one income tax return for the the both of us or two separate ones?
13 Replies

How can I do a couple return as I forgot how I did it last year? If someone could give me step by step instructions to do this?

You have to click on "Start a new return" to file a couple return. Here are the steps to file the couple tax return:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Select Start a new return
  3. Select the TurboTax Online product you wish to use, and indicate how you did your taxes last year
  4. On the Welcome step, select My spouse/partner and me under the question Who are you preparing this return for?
  5. Follow the prompts to enter your personal information. On the What's your marital status? step, select Married or Living Common-law
  6. At Do you want to prepare your returns together?, select Yes
  7. Select Continue and proceed with completing your returns.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

be77yboop
Returning Member

Yes, you email was of great help as well as the step by step made it so much easier for me to understand.  Thank you for taking the time to reply.

You're welcome - Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

fadlala
Returning Member

Hi,

I am trying to file for both couple married this year. But I cannot import data from 2022 for one them filed separately last year. Can you let me know where and how?

@fadlala Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

fadlala
Returning Member

Desktop

When using our TurboTax Desktop/Download software, you can begin your return in the Easy Step mode and you will quickly be asked the question as seen in the image below.

fadlala
Returning Member

Thanks,

But this doesn't not answer my questions. How I import for both 2022 data?. the system ask for one but not for the other couple!??

Sign into your TurboTax Online Account-

The following page click on start for free -continue until you get to this page: Click on I want to transfer all information and do our taxes together.

Click continue and your personal information will be transferred to your 2023 tax return.