Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove audit defence on my order?

9 Replies

Unfortunately, once you have applied the audit defense, you cannot remove it. You are best to start a new return.

Annamc91

This is my biggest complaint with turbotax. The live review and audit defence not being able to be removed is such a hassle

Thank you for your feedback - we will be happy to send your feedback to your production team.

CKL1

I have been a Turbotax user for over 20 years and am very frustrated by 2022 Turbotax as the audit defense was automatically added to my filing in spite of the fact that I clicked on the box that I did not want the audit defense.

Hopefully this automatic application will be deleted in future editions.

alymgrd
Returning Member

I had the same experience for this year's filing (2023) — I opted to not have audit defense, but then it automatically added it anyway. I need as much of my return as I can get, so it's frustrating to lose any amount of it for a service I didn't even want. Is it undoable? 

@alymgrd Are you using TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download?

alymgrd
Returning Member

@TurboTaxSusan  Thanks for responding so quickly — it was the TurboTax CD / Download. 

@alymgrd As mentioned above, unfortunately, once you have applied the audit defense, you cannot remove it. You would have to start a new return.

When you went past the Audit Defense page, did it show you the second page? Or ask you to login to pay?

alymgrd
Returning Member

@TurboTaxSusan I'm a bit embarrassed — I just spoke to a representative over at Tax Audit, apparently it's a free service included with the kind of CD / download I bought. Apologies! I wasn't aware, that's on me.

No, I never saw that second page. I clicked "No Thanks," and thought that was the end of that. I didn't find out I'd been enrolled until I received the email from Tax Audit themselves, thanking me for "selecting a bundle." After that, I combed through my TurboTax filing (on the TurboTax "app"), which now reflected the Tax Audit email (stating I was now enrolled in Tax Audit's services, even though it hadn't said so during the filing process). I understand there isn't really anything you can do retroactively, just letting you know so hopefully the auto-enrollment isn't an issue in the future.