Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to claim the eligible dependant amount (30400). I select "Yes, claim on my return" for "Do you wish to claim for the amnt for an elig. dep.? Yet it still shows 0.

I'm eligible and I don't claim the spousal amount. (we live separate and don't support each other). I did steps 1-7 from
https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/turbotax-support/en-ca/help-article/tax-return/add-remove-amoun...
yet, nothing shows up. My 30400 still empty.

It only shows up if I fill in the "Enter date of marital status change in 2021 if this applies to you. " but my marital status did not change. Is this a bug?

1 Reply

I want to claim the eligible dependant amount (30400). I select "Yes, claim on my return" for "Do you wish to claim for the amnt for an elig. dep.? Yet it still shows 0.

In order to to claim your child as an eligible dependent your marital status can no longer be married it would have to be separated. If you separated for 90 days in 2021 before December 1st then you can change your marital status to separated. If you weren't separated for 90 days in 2021. As per CRA- If you file your return before your 90-day separation period is over and that period includes December 31, enter your marital status as married or living common-law, as applicable. If, after filing your return, you continue to live separate and apart from your spouse or common-law partner and you have been living this way for at least 90 days, complete Form RC65, Marital Status Change, using the date of the beginning of the 90-day period as your date of separation. You will also have to file an amended return to adjust your entitlement for any credits claimed or to apply for credits that you may not have been entitled to when you were married or living common-law.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.