Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
win-ton

I was common law now single. Why are questions asked about my common law spouse?

5 Replies

I was common law now single. Why are questions asked about my common law spouse?

If you separated or divorced in 2023, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will still require your ex-spouse’s/ ex-partner’s information. The info is needed for a number of reasons, like eligibility for certain credits or deductions, handling property you still own together, etc…

win-ton

Was helpful, thanks.  

You're welcome- have a nice day and Happy Filing!

Hoots

How do we deal with this situation where there is no contact with the ex spouse??

Cant get that tax info from spouse.

You are now SEPARATED and not single as per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you do not have the exact income amount, the Canada Revenue Agency suggests that you do your best to estimate the amount. When it comes to the SIN, you can enter 000000000. If you find the correct information, you can always return and adjust it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.