Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My spouse does not have a SIN. He lives in Turkey. How do I fill out my taxes if my spouse is not a Canadian resident:

I got married last year abroad, I am not sure how to file my taxes with my foreigner spouse.
3 Replies

My spouse does not have a SIN. He lives in Turkey. How do I fill out my taxes if my spouse is not a Canadian resident:

You will answer that you are married but he lives outside of the country and do not claim the spousal amount. If a Social Insurance Number is required, you can enter 000000000.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I have a similar situation.  I am a returning Candian.  I got married two years ago while living in Sweden.  My wife is living with me in Canada while I sponsor her, and we wait for her permanent residency application to process.  She is registered as my dependent, and she doesn't have a social insurance number yet.  I'm not able to pass certain steps in TurboTax with this situation.  Please advise.  

@dempsey55491 You can enter 000000000 (9 zeros) as her SIN number.