Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I better off file my taxes separate to my spouse

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In most cases, it is a good idea to prepare your returns together as it may lead you to some additional benefits, a coupled return is recommended in this case. A coupled return lets you enter information about you and your spouse and prepare both of your returns at the same time, and while entering the information, it decides who benefits from which credits, improving your returns to minimize your taxes owed and maximize refunds and tax credits where possible. Therefore, we at TurboTax recommend preparing a coupled return.

For more information on coupled returns and how to file, see the link and FAQ below:

How do I prepare a spousal or coupled return in TurboTax Online? 

Facts Every Canadian Needs to Know About Filing Coupled Tax Returns 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

In most cases, it is a good idea to prepare your returns together as it may lead you to some additional benefits, a coupled return is recommended in this case. A coupled return lets you enter information about you and your spouse and prepare both of your returns at the same time, and while entering the information, it decides who benefits from which credits, improving your returns to minimize your taxes owed and maximize refunds and tax credits where possible. Therefore, we at TurboTax recommend preparing a coupled return.

For more information on coupled returns and how to file, see the link and FAQ below:

How do I prepare a spousal or coupled return in TurboTax Online? 

Facts Every Canadian Needs to Know About Filing Coupled Tax Returns