Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brussell2

Amend 2019 medical expenses

When I filed 2019 taxes I thought I had removed my medical expenses because it didn't make a difference so I could possibly use them this year, turns out in my sleep deprivation I didn't. Can I legally amend my file for 2019 taxes to remove the $xxx of medical expenses so I can claim them and get the benefit this year as my income was cut in half due to maternity leave? Using the 12month rule of course.

1 Reply

Amend 2019 medical expenses

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

Yes, you can amend your tax return.

Yes, you can claim eligible medical expenses if they were incurred during the current tax year. TurboTax will prompt you to choose your 12-month claim period after you enter your medical expenses.

For example, you can claim an expense from January 2, 2019, using a claim period of January 2, 2019, to January 1, 2020, on your 2020 tax return.

If you have a lot of expenses in the latter part of the tax year, it might be better to save them and claim them with medical expenses you have in the early part of the following tax year. If, for example, the majority of your medical expenses occurred after May 15, 2020, you can save them for your 2021 tax return. You can use a 12-month period from May 15, 2020 to May 14, 2021, and claim all expenses that fall within that time frame.

Each year, you can choose a different 12-month period. Your 12-month period doesn't have to begin where your previous 12-month period ended. Expenses cannot be claimed twice.

Please visit the links provided for further clarifications:

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.