Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I select yes to the question "Were you married or living common-law in 2021", as my marital status changed to divorce 2021 tax year.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I select yes to the question "Were you married or living common-law in 2021", as my marital status changed to divorce 2021 tax year.

No. You need to enter your marital status as it was on December 31, 2021. So, if you were divorced on that date, you would set your status to divorced. If you are using TurboTax Online it will then ask you if you got divorced in 2021 and you can answer Yes to that. In TurboTax CD/Download EasyStep mode, it will ask you about marital status changes on a later page.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No. You need to enter your marital status as it was on December 31, 2021. So, if you were divorced on that date, you would set your status to divorced. If you are using TurboTax Online it will then ask you if you got divorced in 2021 and you can answer Yes to that. In TurboTax CD/Download EasyStep mode, it will ask you about marital status changes on a later page.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.