Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
R4D10
Returning Member

GST credit for previous year's taxes.

Hi, I recently filed my 2015,16,17,18,19 and 20 taxes I recieved my refunds for the years I was owed and for each year I was able to receive GST. 

My question is how does Backpay/retro active payment work for GST credit. Will it automatically update in mycra account at a later date, do I have to request it? 

On my benefits page it only shows payments for Oct, January and April I believe listed for 2021-2022. Which I believe is only reflecting 2020tax return. 

Thanks any information would be helpful

2 Replies

The GST/HST credit is a non-taxable amount paid four times a year to individuals and families with low and modest incomes to help offset the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) that they pay.

Kindly see below additional information

CRA Information on GST/HST Tax credit 

You have up to three years to ask for a retroactive payment. If you have not filed your 2018 and 2019 tax returns within the three-year period, you can send us a request under the taxpayer relief provisions of the Income Tax Act. For more information, go to Taxpayer relief provisions or see Information Circular IC07-1R1, Taxpayer Relief Provisions.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team, or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax, 

Taxpayers with low or modest incomes can claim the GST/HST credit to offset the tax they pay on goods and services. It is given four times each year at no cost to them.

GST/HST credit - Overview

It is possible to ask for a retroactive payment up to three years after the event. You can submit a request under the taxpayer relief provisions of the Income Tax Act if you did not file your 2018 or 2019 tax returns within the three-year period. 

For clarification, please click the following link

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team, or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.