turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My amended return has been adjusted, when will i receive the check?

Mine let me set up for direct deposit it's showing recieveved 03/03/23

When will I receive my check

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Processing can take up to 16 weeks.  For more details on this and to track your Amended Return, please see this IRS page.

@Hamandcheese

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When will I receive my amended return

@Hamandcheese wrote:

When will I receive my amended return

Go to this IRS website for the status of a federal amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

It took 13 months April 3rd 2021 to May 6 2022.after 20 plus calls and crying.it got adjusted on may 6 2022. ... the irs don't care if your behind on your bills....if you've got kids to feed or you got a car to pay......now I'm not even gonna call them for when I'm getting my check because they don't give a f about not get your child credit nor stimulus.it may take another year to get my check it's freaking ridiculous 

It's not the IRS, it's all those individuals in the government from the previous governing component and any before that effectively disabled, and or neglected the IRS, leaving it in a state of desperate need of manpower, not unlike what the Postal Service found itself in, so that it became near impossible to effectively carry out its responsibilities in a timely manner. That handicap was magnified in the wake of the pandemic.

I sympathize with anyone struggling or not, facing such a delay in having their funds delivered as required.

I have been waiting for an amended 2017 tax return that was confirmed received in November of 2019 for a considerable missed additional refund, prompted by a CP2000 claiming I owed $2400. My amended tax was apparently ignored by the IRS until that was cleared up in Jan 2021. The amended was then denied in error according to an IRS publication I found in June 2021, appealed and confirmed received and assigned in Aug 2021. The last call for an update 2 wks ago informed me that it was reassigned in Jan 2022 and should be completed in 20 wks from that date. In other words I'm approaching the end of a second 20 wk processing window in June, and a 3 yr anniversary in Nov 2022 if it still is not completed by then. I have absolutely no idea when it will be completed.

I can't blame the IRS force for doing what they can with what they have in fairness. Just hold those responsible accountable for the madness.

Hi @RebDeL26 , I was wondering if you had received your actual check yet, and in what way was it adjusted, positively or negatively?

I sent mine out...+/-11 months ago. and it was received 6/8/21, the 1040x has been adjusted this past friday, on 5/13/22.

Was just wondering if you had a timeframe that you received your explanation and (hopefully) your check afterward. 
The whole 52+x weeks, for something that is projected at 16-20 weeks thing is a huge pain in the ass, and hopefully you can help keep my expectations within the realm of reason...already had to adjust them 🤣

Along with the current amended 2017 tax I'm waiting to be finalized, I also submitted an amendment for the year prior to it at the same time ~Oct, 2019, both were received in close proximity to each other and acknowledged on the IRS website for status.

The 1040X for the year that did not involve a missed 1099, 2016 and was submitted along with the other simply because I discovered that changing the filing to a joint filing for both would net me a significant increase in refund received for both years, was processed on time, within the 16 wk time frame given at that time just prior to the pandemic shut down. The difference in comparison to what you have stated, is that I received my check before I received the notice that you are speaking of stating the adjustment has been made. I would expect you to receive your check in close proximity to that notice, ~ one week.

Although I'm still waiting for the 2017 1040x to be processed, I did receive a notice last week also confirming that they do have the documents received in March 2022 (The second submission after hearing nothing for nearly 8 mo after the initial appeal in June 2021.  It states if not completed in 90 days, they will contact me in regards to the delay. Keep in mind Nov 2022 will be the 3 yr anniversary for this amended tax, which is not a complicated adjustment. None the less, the time it's taking is worth the amount involved.  

CalKar52

After 12 months (received May 2021), I just received a change in status to adjusted. I have no idea when that will translate to a check in the mail (completed status). But, at least it was finally processed after 12 months. Does anyone know how long it takes to go from adjusted to completed? THX!

CalKar52

Hate to update you with facts. Processing is taking a year. Mine has been processed but no check yet.

When will I get my amend tax .it has been  adjusted and approved..

@6015624871 No one at TT can answer that.   Only the IRS can tell you.   They will mail a check if you are getting a refund for an amended return so watch your mailbox and make sure you open all mail.  Do not assume anything is junk mail without opening it.  They mail a check by first class mail without tracking.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My amended return was processed on the 27th of March. When can I be expecting a check

@Mahecor

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies