Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john10571

Software problems - data can not be entered in an unfiled 2014 T1General

I have unfiled returns with some data entered, awaiting additional information from the taxpayer. I now have received the required information but TurboTax will not let me reopen, correct and update the return to finish and file it. Is this a common problem with your software? It's never happened to me before and I've been using Quick/Turbotax for years.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rhino2

It could be that the original file became corrupted somehow. If you have already started over with a new file and are not experiencing any problems with that, your best bet would be to continue with it.

If you want to try to recover the original file and have not saved it more than once since you started having problems, you may be able to open the backup created by TurboTax each time you save a file. Look for a file with the extension ttbk, rename it with a different name (so as not to overwrite the problem file) and the extension tt14, then open that in TurboTax.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
rhino2

Are you unable to open the return at all? If so, what error message do you get when you try?
john10571

The returns open but previously entered data is missing or can not be corrected, but if I create a new return, there is no problem, everything updates normally. So I have had to enter all updated data again and save it with a new filename.
john10571

Thanks for the feedback. I have changed the filenames and everything now seems to work normally.
rhino2

It could be that the original file became corrupted somehow. If you have already started over with a new file and are not experiencing any problems with that, your best bet would be to continue with it.

If you want to try to recover the original file and have not saved it more than once since you started having problems, you may be able to open the backup created by TurboTax each time you save a file. Look for a file with the extension ttbk, rename it with a different name (so as not to overwrite the problem file) and the extension tt14, then open that in TurboTax.

john10571

I have discovered that my antivirus software quarantined a Trojan about a week ago. I may have had Turbotax open when the attack occurred and, possibly, some open files were corrupted. But now everything seems fine. Thanks again.
rhino2

Interestingly, I ran a full scan a couple weeks back when TT started acting weird, and my Avast did find a trojan-infected file in the TT program folder (along with a few others). A system restore solved the problem and subsequent full and boot scans were clean.