Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax Errors

From the Notice of Assessment there are several changes.  A $2,000 repayment of CERB which was on the T4E and reported to TurboTax was not deducted by TurboTax, the CWB was miscalculated by TurboTax ($243.93 by TurboTax; $543.90 by CRA) and the low income individuals tax credit was changed to the maximum of $875.00.

I would appreciate this being looked into ASAP so I can confidently complete a much more detailed tax return.

Thank you;

Turbotax Errors

Can you please let us know which TurboTax software you used and the version? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

Turbotax Errors

As previously replied;

Good afternoon TurboTax Ginette!  I used TurboTax Desktop/Download Standard Version however I cannot find a version number on any of the documentation.  There is a SKU on the box #5107553 and I purchased it at Staples in Belleville.  I should also note that I have been using this Intuit product since it was still called Quicktax and have never had an issue even remotely close to this previously.  With a far more complex return to file I want to make sure that this year's version is accurate in order to take appropriate actions in regards to RRSP Contributions etc.  Obviously there is some urgency to this query due to the upcoming close of contributions date so any assistance you can offer to clarify this situation is greatly appreciated.

Turbotax Errors

Thank you for the updates: We will have our engineer team look at TurboTax Desktop to make sure there is no calculation issues. 

Turbotax Errors

Hey Turbotax! 

You refused to take my concerns seriously and told me that I could pay for a more expensive version to speak to a Tax Expert about problems with misleading information in your online version. I am not sure what to think of your business model.

I have found misleading instructions and/or errors on your pages about work-from-home expenses. Is the rest of Turbotax is as misleading as the section on working from home? Firstly, your calculator does not match the CRA's calculator (which allows two decimal points for size of home and size of work area and specifies imperial or metric). And there is no clear space for rent! Does Turbotax only cater to those who own property? Why is rent not a main category, as it is on the CRA's calculator?

Unfortunately, Turbotax language makes it seem like most people can no longer claim work-from-home expenses, implying that if your employer has not given you form T2200, then you are not eligible. You can actually work with your employer to get form T2200 filled out. The CRA web site even states: "For 2023, if an employee has voluntarily entered into a formal telework arrangement with their employer, the employee is considered to have been required to work from home."

So, Turbotax, when will you revise your section on work-from-home expenses? April 30 is fast-approaching...

Turbotax Errors

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback. We appreciate your effort and will pass along your comments to the appropriate department. 

In TurboTax Online, you can enter the number of rooms in your house and the number of rooms you use for office purposes, TurboTax will use this to calculate the area used for your office. 

TurboTax will then calculate your rent expenses under "Other, specify: Rent" as part of the expenses incurred for your entire home. 

We recommend you check out this resource for more information on the T2200 form and employment expenses: "Everything You Need to Know About the T2200 Form and Employment Expenses." 

You are correct in saying that CRA states that for 2023, employees who have voluntarily entered into a formal telework arrangement with their employer are considered to have been required to work from home. However, to be eligible to claim your home office expenses, you need to meet all of the following conditions: - You have a completed and signed copy of Form T2200, Declaration of Conditions of Employment, from your employer. or - You have a completed and signed copy of Form T2200S, Declaration of Conditions of Employment for Working at Home Due to COVID-19, from your employer.

Here is the link to the CRA page where you can find all of this information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Turbotax Errors

I come from a family of financiers and your response is not good enough. 

First of all, why does Turbo Tax not include two decimal points for the measurement of the workspace and the measurement of the home, as CRA does? I don't want to answer based on number of rooms, because I would like to maintain consistency with how I reported the size of my home to CRA in previous years...and that includes two decimal points for the size of my workspace.

Why is 'rent' not specifically marked? And is 'rent' supposed to be within the zero-rated/tax-exempt category? The CRA's calculator is much more user-friendly.

For form T2200, Turbo Tax language makes it seem like it is incumbent upon the employer to 'give' the employee form T2200, which is misleading. Many employees might assume, from this language (and other references within this year's Turbo Tax), that they are not eligible to claim this deduction, and then blame Turbo Tax for misleading language (potentially leading to negative publicity for Turbo Tax). The employee can request form T2200 from the employer...and in many cases, employees will need to do just that.

Oh, and thank you for the link to the CRA. Clearly, you didn't read my initial complaints closely enough. It was the discrepancy between the CRA web site and Turbo Tax, which prompted me to complain...so obviously, I had read the relevant sections of the CRA web site in great detail.

All the best to Turbo Tax in re-designing this section of the forms.

Turbotax Errors

I am having the same issues and received a far lower return when actually submitted and needed to comb through the calculations line-by-line to understand where the error came from. TurboTax is miscalculating the return as it seems incapable of handling tuition carry-forward credits and accounting for change in residency. This is on top of past issues with where and how to accurately declared foreign income in the TurboTax software so you are not accidentally paying tax on income that isn't counted. I've had to go back to prior years to revise my tax statements as a result.

It's impossible to speak to an actual human at TurboTax, and with all these issues, I am spending more time than just completing the detailed tax calculations on my own. So @TurboTaxBrenda what am I even paying for?! 

Turbotax Errors

Please follow our TurboTax FAQ: How do I submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate, Expert Approved Guarantee?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

Turbotax Errors

hehe...well, I tried WealthSimple...and their work-from-home calculator matched the one on the CRA web site. There was no misleading information, either. TurboTax needs to better understand its Canadian customers...and customer service.