Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I claim Long Term Disability payments received on my 2019 tax return?

3 Replies

Determining if you must claim your Long Term Disability Benefits on your tax return depends on who paid the premiums for the benefits.

• Generally, if you pay the entire amount of the disability premiums yourself, your disability benefits will be tax-free. This means your employer has deducted the premiums from your pay and remitted them on your behalf. You will not receive a T4A slip for the benefits and you do not claim as income on your tax return.

• If your employer pays all or part of the disability premium, your disability benefits will be subject to income taxes. In this case, you will be issued a T4A slip for the benefits you receive and will report the income and tax withheld on the T4A slip page in TurboTax.
    • If your employer has paid all or part of the premiums, you will likely be issued a letter from your employer and can deduct any premiums you have paid from the taxable amount of benefits received.

Here's a link from TaxTips.ca explaining further the tax implications of Wage-Loss Replacement plans: Disability Insurance - Pay Your Own Premiums!

Hello 

My employer puts my long term disability on a T4 slip, shouldn't it be on something else?

@auntlindaem Long term disability insurance contributions by your employer are a taxable benefit, so they go on the T4.