Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debrac34

Can 2018 medical expenses be carried over to next year if the expenses exceeded my total income for 2018?

I only worked at the beginning of 2018 and then was out for personal and medical reasons since. Bulk of medical expenses came in Q3/4 with surgery, etc. My medical expenses far outweighed my income and there was no additional income (i.e., disability, unemployment, etc.) just pulled from savings - if that makes a difference. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can 2018 medical expenses be carried over to next year if the expenses exceeded my total income for 2018?

Your Medical Expenses are a Non Refundable Tax Credit that are used to reduce your tax payable. If you do not need to use them this year, you should not include them on your tax return at all. What you do is hang on to them and then you can claim them in the following year by using a "one year block". 

How this works is you choose an optimal time period that ends in the tax year you are filing. For example: If you began incurring high Medical Expenses in March 2018, your one year block would be March 1st, 2018 to February 28th, 2019. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Your Medical Expenses are a Non Refundable Tax Credit that are used to reduce your tax payable. If you do not need to use them this year, you should not include them on your tax return at all. What you do is hang on to them and then you can claim them in the following year by using a "one year block". 

How this works is you choose an optimal time period that ends in the tax year you are filing. For example: If you began incurring high Medical Expenses in March 2018, your one year block would be March 1st, 2018 to February 28th, 2019.