Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leop

Can I claim disability tax credit transferred from child over 18 living at different address as well as Canada caregiver amount for same dependant?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim disability tax credit transferred from child over 18 living at different address as well as Canada caregiver amount for same dependant?

It depends.

If the child has a valid Disability Tax certificate on file with CRA and you are the named transferee, you can claim the transfer of the unused portion of the disability amount. If you also meet the qualifications for the Canada Caregiver Credit, you may also claim that credit. There's no rule for choosing one or the other. If you qualify for both, you can claim both.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

It depends.

If the child has a valid Disability Tax certificate on file with CRA and you are the named transferee, you can claim the transfer of the unused portion of the disability amount. If you also meet the qualifications for the Canada Caregiver Credit, you may also claim that credit. There's no rule for choosing one or the other. If you qualify for both, you can claim both.

leop

does the different address have any effect on the claim?

Not at all. There is no requirement that your dependant must live with you.
jihd

I can't figure out how to claim the disability transfer without claiming the caregiver credit.  Plse help.

On the Canada Caregiver Amount screen in the Dependant's section, answer No to all the questions to remove the credit.
jihd

Thanks, Jennifer, but it's not working for me.  On the Claim Dependant Credits for ** screen I checked Disability amount transfer.  I did not check Caregiver amount. On the next screen, Disability Transfer, I selected Yes for Disability transfer claimed by ** and put 0's in all the boxes below.  Yet on the Dependants credit summary screen the federal Caregiver Amount shows up.

Check the option for the caregiver credit and then answer No to every question to remove it. It's assigned automatically as most claims for the disability transfer will also qualify for the Caregiver Amount. You'll need to go to the screen itself rather than not check it off on the Dependants screen.
jihd

Still doesn't change - I have Turbo Tax Standard, do I need to upgrade?

No need to upgrade. I've tried this on my own version and it works. On which line is the Caregiver Claim showing?