Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim equivalent to spouse for my child that turned 18 during 2023?

5 Replies

No. You can only claim someone 18 years of age or older as an eligible dependant if they have an impairment in physical or mental functions (disability).

So it doesn't matter that they were 17 for half the year? Were high school students until June and turned 18 in June 2023?? Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm entering everyrhing correctly.

Also, does TurboTax recognize that they are over 18 when I put in their birth date?

Yes, TurboTax will calculate the age of the child from the birthdate. If the child was under 18 during the year, you can still apply for the eligible dependant credit.

Holmium

Sorry, but the first response seems to suggest that if the child turned 18 in calendar 2023 I cannot claim her.   The second suggests, to me, that you can make the claim.   Can you resolve this please?   My child turned 18 December 19, 2023.

@Holmium TurboTax will calculate the age of the child from the birthdate that you enter. If the child was under 18 during the year, you can still apply for the eligible dependant credit.