Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eddy1

Can I enter contribution amount for prescription drugs as medical expense?

I have prescription drug insurance coverage under the public plan (Quebec residence) 

Most of the cost for the my prescriptions are covered under the plan, but I do pay out about $85/month for whats call  "monthly deductible" and "co-insurance amounts". 

Can these amounts be entered as medical expenses??

Thanks for the help!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, any prescription drug amount that is not reimbursed by insurance can be claimed as part of Medical expense credit. This can include drug costs, prescription charges or plan deductibles.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, any prescription drug amount that is not reimbursed by insurance can be claimed as part of Medical expense credit. This can include drug costs, prescription charges or plan deductibles.

To make things really easy, get a printout from the drugstore that will show everything that you paid as co-insturance and deductibles for the whole year. This list is a valid receipt for tax purposes. Then on your return you create a single line in medical expenses such as: "Drugstore list", $xxx.xx

Or even better receive a printout of all eligible Medical expenses itemized into Premiums paid and costs not reimbursed. Then your claim can be made with just 2 entries. Of course keep all individual receipts.

As far as I know, insurance may in some cases cover the purchase of medicines, but only if there are no drugs. Paying for drugs using insurance is prohibited in the United States. But you can buy any drugs with a doctor’s prescription ..
By the way, recently an interesting story happened to me. On the street, the police stopped me when I was driving a car and demanded that I pass a test for the presence of drugs in my saliva. After 15 minutes, I was detained due to the fact that there were residues of narcotic substances in my saliva. I was shocked because I had never used drugs. A few days later I was at the hearing and at one point my friend burst into the room and there was a saliva drug test in his hands. Everyone was surprised and he went to the judge and asked me to take the test right in the courtroom. After 35 minutes, the jersey police apologized and I was released. I am very grateful to my friend and tests from https://testcountry.com/pages/saliva-drug-test