Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use dental expenses from October 2017 on my 2018 tax form? Are Invisalign (braces) and veneers allowed - or considered cosmetic? Whitening is not tax-deductible?

"Hello - I'm planning to get some dental work some time soon. I expect to have a lot more income in the 2018 tax year, so I thought it might make sense to postpone the work until January, to get the deduction in 2018. But I've read that you can use the expense in either year (within 12 months). Is this accurate? Also, the procedures would be Invisalign (braces), which my dentist says is for dental health reasons (crowding teeth), but also cosmetic. I will then get porcelain venners on four teeth (mostly cosmetic) and whitening, which is cosmetic (and I undertstand is non-tax deductible). Please let me know if this is accurate as well. Many thanks.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I use dental expenses from October 2017 on my 2018 tax form? Are Invisalign (braces) and veneers allowed - or considered cosmetic? Whitening is not tax-deductible?

You will be able to claim expenses for any 12 month period ending in 2018.  So, from October 2017 to September 2018.  CRA will not allow any cosmetic procedures as deductions.  They will also likely ask to see receipts, including a letter from the dentist stating the medical necessity.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will be able to claim expenses for any 12 month period ending in 2018.  So, from October 2017 to September 2018.  CRA will not allow any cosmetic procedures as deductions.  They will also likely ask to see receipts, including a letter from the dentist stating the medical necessity.