Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdcastle

Can you claim a charitable donation for a 12 yr old child?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

CRA is quite clear that you can only claim donations and gifts made by you or your spouse or common law partner on your return.  Please see  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/349/menu-eng.html

You should also note that your son can carry forward this donation for the next 5 years.

Perhaps one reason why CRA does not permit transferring donations to other family members is where would you draw the line...  ie)  my 30 year old child or my mother does not need all their donations or, it is more beneficial for me to claim all the donations made by my family members on my return.

Maybe you can contact the charitable organization and ask if they can reissue the receipt in your name.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
fuzzy

CRA is quite clear that you can only claim donations and gifts made by you or your spouse or common law partner on your return.  Please see  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/349/menu-eng.html

You should also note that your son can carry forward this donation for the next 5 years.

Perhaps one reason why CRA does not permit transferring donations to other family members is where would you draw the line...  ie)  my 30 year old child or my mother does not need all their donations or, it is more beneficial for me to claim all the donations made by my family members on my return.

Maybe you can contact the charitable organization and ask if they can reissue the receipt in your name.

Any donation made must be to a registered charity that can issue a receipt.  Without such, it is not a claimable donation.

mdcastle

Official receipt was issued,  but in my son's name. He was the donor, but he is only 12.

I don't think it is an issue.  Husbands and wives donations normally go on one return or the other, however best it benefits them, regardless of whose name is on them. There should be no issue with using a donation in your son's name on your return.