Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Tax

My husband and I are doing taxes separately. I always get the Child Tax Credit. How do I stop him from receiving the benefit? Im doing his taxes now and someone else is doing mine next week so i want to make sure I will receive the benefit.  At the end its giving an amount that he will receive. Im confused where I went wrong for this to happen and Ive looked it over multiple times. Thank you!!

1 Reply

Child Tax

Claiming the children on either spouse's tax return will not affect the claim for the Canada Child Benefit (CCB). The only way any changes can be made to the CCB is by contacting the CCB section of CRA. 

If you prepare your returns separately, TurboTax is assuming that you are the one claiming the children for the benefit and showing this estimate on the summary for information purposes only. 

One thing you want to make sure of when preparing spousal returns separately is that you include your spouse's income. Failure to do so will result in you receiving a "spousal tax credit" in error and having to repay this at a later date.