Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moe2tech

"claiming a disability transfer for a dependent for my wife, and I automatically get a Caregiver credit on my name. How do i change this."

Doing a Joint Return and claiming the Disability Transfer for a dependent for my wife (Who has the T2201 form on file and also has the higher salary). The software appears to assign everything to me, in spite of my salary being lower. When I select my wife as being the one claiming the dependents credits, it also gives us the Caregiver Credit, but that amount is assigned to me, instead of my wife. It shows both a Federal and Provincial credit. The button used to split the amount allows me to only transfer the Federal amount, but leaves the provincial credit with me.

Is this a problem, and how do I fix it.

1 Reply

"claiming a disability transfer for a dependent for my wife, and I automatically get a Caregiver credit on my name. How do i change this."

The simplest way to correct this is in Forms view.

1. Click the Forms button near the top right of your screen.
  2. Once in forms view, click the button for Dependants at the top left of your screen (between Forms and Federal).
  3. Once the Dependant box opens, you can use the radial button to assign the amounts to your spouse.
  4. Once finished, click the Easy Step button near the top of your screen to return to the interview view.