Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dolaz
Returning Member

Claiming dental expenses with some receipts missing

Hi,

I have dental expenses from last year. I also have private medical insurance that covers part of the costs of these dental expenses (for each receipt, I had to pay some amount out of pocket). I understand that I can add the amounts that I paid out of pocket as medical expenses. 

I have 2 questions:

1- What is the appropriate medical expense type I should list these expenses under? Is it "Other"?

2- I asked the dental clinic to provide me with a report with all my expenses so that I can use it for tax purpose, I found that I have lost 2 receipts (2 receipts show in the report that I don't have actual receipts for). Would that be a problem if the CRA wanted to ask for proof for these expenses? I can provide the report I got from the clinic, but the problem is that this report does not contain the "Type of procedure" (some dental procedures such as cosmetic ones cannot be claimed in taxes). Should I worry about that?

Thanks for your time.

Adel

1 Reply
TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Claiming dental expenses with some receipts missing

Report the Health insurance as "Premiums paid to a private health plan"

Report the Dental as "Others"

For future Post Assessments or Audits, you will need receipts from your dental clinic to prove that these procedures were not for cosmetic reasons. You don't need the original receipt, but the report they sent to the insurance provider, it should have the type of the procedure. If they can't provide it, contact your health premium provider to give you a summary of the claimed expenses: health and dental.

I hope this was helpful