Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependants credits There are 2 dependants under 6 years. I see 1 credit of $4,519 is included in the father's personal deduction. Where is the Credit for the 2nd chil?

The mother does not owe income tax, so the father will have deductions for both children
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Dependants credits There are 2 dependants under 6 years. I see 1 credit of $4,519 is included in the father's personal deduction. Where is the Credit for the 2nd chil?

The mother did not have any Dependant Credits transferred to her non-refundable tax credits since her taxable income is less than her Basic personal amount -- she does not owe income taxes.

There are 2 Dependants whose Dependant Credits should be transferred to the father's non-refundable tax credits and included in his Basic personal amount.

The children's ages are:  Dependant #1 is 6 years & 8 months and Dependant #2 is 7 months old as of

December 31, 2022

I see only 1 Dependent Credit added into the father's personal credit ($16,143 + $4,519 = $20,662)

Please transfer the 2nd Dependent Credit of $4,519 into the father's personal credit to equal the following

$16,143 + $4,519 + $4,519 = $25,181.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Which tax credit are you speaking of?

Only 1 Credit of $4,519 was included in the father's personal deduction

There are 2 Dependents  1 child is 6 year & 8 months The 2nd child is 7 months at Dec 31, 2022

Where is the 1 other Credit for the 2nd Dependent child???

Did the system give the same amount one for each parent? Once again I am not sure which credit you are speaking of- it would be easier to assist you if I knew.

The mother did not have any Dependant Credits transferred to her non-refundable tax credits since her taxable income is less than her Basic personal amount -- she does not owe income taxes.

There are 2 Dependants whose Dependant Credits should be transferred to the father's non-refundable tax credits and included in his Basic personal amount.

The children's ages are:  Dependant #1 is 6 years & 8 months and Dependant #2 is 7 months old as of

December 31, 2022

I see only 1 Dependent Credit added into the father's personal credit ($16,143 + $4,519 = $20,662)

Please transfer the 2nd Dependent Credit of $4,519 into the father's personal credit to equal the following

$16,143 + $4,519 + $4,519 = $25,181.

If you are speaking of the Eligible dependent credit- First of all if he is married he doesn't qualify for this credit as this is equivalent to spousal credit. 

Claiming the Amount for an Eligible Dependant Credit

Thanks for the Reply   Since the father is Married, I know that he cannot claim the Eligible Dependant  I am looking for a Dependant Credit of $4,519.  The Eligible Dependant is not the issue!!!  In the child's personal information who is 6 years & 8 months old as of December 31, 2022, there is a statement " You may be eligible to claim the Quebec Tax Credit for Caregivers for "the son"  if needed  change the % claimed for "the father" 100%

Any portion remaining can be claimed by your spouse,

and that child's Dependant Credit of $4,519 is included in the father's personal tax credit  $16,143 + $4,519 = $20,662.   

Why is that statement not applied to the 7 months old child? and therefore, the Dependant Credit of $4,519 is Not included in the father's Basic personal amount in the non-refundable tax credits?

The father's Basic personal amount should calculate as $16,143 + $4,519 + $4,519 = $25,181

Please tell me why the father's Basic personal tax amount is NOT calculating to the Credit of $25,181???

There are two components to the tax credit for caregivers. The first is for caregivers providing care to a person 18 or over who has a severe and prolonged impairment in mental or physical functions and needs assistance in carrying out a basic activity of daily living. The second is for caregivers providing care to and living with a relative 70 or over. 

your answers are Bogus in this situation!  Children who are under 6 years old do NOT provide a non-refundable credit since they are not attending post secondary education!!!