Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1qwe

Do I have to pay the Surtax for non-residents if I had no Canadian income?

I am living and working in Norway and I have paid all of my income tax owing to Norway

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If filing as a non-resident, for tax purposes, you should only be entering Canadian income into your return.

From CRA-

"Your tax obligations

As a non-resident of Canada, you pay tax on income you receive from sources in Canada. The type of tax you pay and the requirement to file an income tax return depend on the type of income you receive.

Generally, Canadian income received by a non-resident is subject to Part XIII tax or Part I tax."

Link

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nnrs-eng.html#txblgtns

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Which surtax are you referring to?
1qwe

Surtax for non-residents and deemed residents of Canada: calculate 48% of the amount on line 58.

I have read that I only pay it on income i earned in Canada, but the field is being filled despite not having Canadian income.

Are you filing as a resident, deemed resident or non-resident, for tax purposes?

If filing as a non-resident, for tax purposes, you should only be entering Canadian income into your return.

From CRA-

"Your tax obligations

As a non-resident of Canada, you pay tax on income you receive from sources in Canada. The type of tax you pay and the requirement to file an income tax return depend on the type of income you receive.

Generally, Canadian income received by a non-resident is subject to Part XIII tax or Part I tax."

Link

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nnrs-eng.html#txblgtns