Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g-hartley

Do I need to provide total amount of charitable donations that I have claimed on my tax returns since 2007? I don't recall having to do this before, is this new?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to provide total amount of charitable donations that I have claimed on my tax returns since 2007? I don't recall having to do this before, is this new?

If you've made charitable donations since 2007 and have not claimed them on a tax return, you may be eligible for the First-time donor super credit. So, if you answer No to the question Have you and/or your spouse/partner claimed a charitable donation tax credit for any year after 2007? at the top of the Donation form, TurboTax asks you to enter those amounts donated so you can get credit for them.

If you have claimed a donation on your return since 2007, answer Yes to the question Have you and/or your spouse/partner claimed a charitable donation tax credit for any year after 2007? and then you won't be prompted to enter your prior year donation amounts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you've made charitable donations since 2007 and have not claimed them on a tax return, you may be eligible for the First-time donor super credit. So, if you answer No to the question Have you and/or your spouse/partner claimed a charitable donation tax credit for any year after 2007? at the top of the Donation form, TurboTax asks you to enter those amounts donated so you can get credit for them.

If you have claimed a donation on your return since 2007, answer Yes to the question Have you and/or your spouse/partner claimed a charitable donation tax credit for any year after 2007? and then you won't be prompted to enter your prior year donation amounts.