Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HOY

Does my child need to reach certain age before her dad can pay her for income splitting purpose? Her dad has self employment income. Thanks.

My husband and I and our 11 year old daughter live together. I have employment income and my husband has self employment income. TurboTax is showing we owe lots of income tax. We are wondering if he can pay our daughter for simple service so that we won't need to pay so much tax.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does my child need to reach certain age before her dad can pay her for income splitting purpose? Her dad has self employment income. Thanks.

No, there is no age limit for income splitting. However, please check with the CRA or a tax professional that is knowledgeable in this area, as this could cause issues with the CRA. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are somewhere else you can call 613-940-8495. Here are more ways to contact the CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, there is no age limit for income splitting. However, please check with the CRA or a tax professional that is knowledgeable in this area, as this could cause issues with the CRA. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are somewhere else you can call 613-940-8495. Here are more ways to contact the CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html