Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entered $1500 medical expenses. income is $8000. medical is 0 when it calculates? min 3% of income, so $340, my medical $1500 and its not allocating any amount?

Why is it not calculating any amount for me? Doesn't make sense.
2 Replies

Entered $1500 medical expenses. income is $8000. medical is 0 when it calculates? min 3% of income, so $340, my medical $1500 and its not allocating any amount?

The medical expense tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit that you can use to reduce the tax that you paid or may have to pay. It can’t be used to generate or increase a refund. So, if you don’t have any taxes payable, you will not get the credit.  

Medical expenses can be claimed in a 12-month period with the final month ending in the tax year you are filing. So, you may be able to claim your unused expenses next year, if you can’t use them this year.

There is a mapping glitch in the turbotax system. What I entered into the wizard, never made it to the 33099 line. You can check this by clicking on the 'View detail tax summary'. The problem is, TurboTax doesn't have a solution for this and instead had me enter the amount as one receipt (which is not truthful), but it got the amount to the line, so I guess that's one way to get it to the CRA.