Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have medical coverage from my employer. I pay some portion of it in every pay check. Can I claim the amount as a medical expense ?

1 Reply

Have medical coverage from my employer. I pay some portion of it in every pay check. Can I claim the amount as a medical expense ?

Yes, you can absolutely claim the amount you pay towards the medical coverage. 

Please follow the steps below to enter your information in the Online software.

1. Sign in to your account and return.
  2. Go to the Find icon (magnifying glass) at the top right corner of the screen.
  3. Enter medical expenses in the Search window.
  4. Select Medical Expense Profile from the list of results.
  5. Select Go. The Profile step of your medical expenses appears.
  6. Check all that apply (medical receipts for 2021) and select Continue.
  7. The Medical Expenses step appears. TurboTax displays the minimum allowable amount of medical expenses that qualify for a tax credit.
  8. If the eligible medical expenses are less than the minimum amount displayed by TurboTax, select Done, since there are not enough expenses to generate a tax credit. Otherwise, select Enter New Medical Expenses, and the Medical Expense Receipt step appears.
  9. For the type of expense click on Other and enter "medical coverage paid at work"
  10. Make sure to click on Done at the bottom of the screen to save your entry.

For guidance please see our TurboTax article What Qualifies As Medical Expenses When Filing Taxes?

Thank you for using TurboTax.