Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim the Canada Caregiver Credit on top of the Spousal amount (lines 30300 and 30425) - yes my spouse receives the DTC?

My husband receives the DTC
I want to claim the Canada Caregiver Credit
I cannot find the steps on TurboTax or anywhere it says I have claimed this or not
1 Reply

How do I claim the Canada Caregiver Credit on top of the Spousal amount (lines 30300 and 30425) - yes my spouse receives the DTC?

The spousal amount can be claimed if, at any time in the year, you supported your spouse or common-law partner and their net income from line 23600 of their return (or the amount that it would be if they filed a return) was less than your basic personal amount (plus $2,295 if they were dependent on you because of an impairment in physical or mental functions).

The only way that you can claim the Canada Caregiver Credit is if your husband is dependent upon you due to a physical or mental condition or “infirmity”. 

An individual is considered to depend on you for support if they rely on you to regularly and consistently provide them with some or all of the basic necessities of life, such as food, shelter and clothing. 

Completing your tax return