Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I give my spouse 100% of the Northern Resident's Deduction? Each time I attempt to edit the info stays the same. One hour later getting very frustrated.

My accountant can check the difference in less than a minute.  Why is this system so awkward and NOT user friendly?  My info on northern allowance will not delete from the system, despite numerous attempts.  We should be able to easily navigate back and forth to see which person benefits from the deduction.  This needs to be improved.

Also, this deduction didn't even come up for me, despite living in a prescribed zone.  Luckily I knew we were entitled from having an accountant prepare our taxes in the past.

1 Reply

How do I give my spouse 100% of the Northern Resident's Deduction? Each time I attempt to edit the info stays the same. One hour later getting very frustrated.

When claiming the Northern Residents Deduction you must complete the section in TurboTax and apply the credit to the spouse who wishes to claim both the Basic and Additional Residency Amounts. Any tax software needs to have these type of credits "applied" for, they do not automatically add them based on your address.