Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dacharb

How to enter medical expenses total amounts directly in line 33099 and/or 33199?

5 Replies

How to enter medical expenses total amounts directly in line 33099 and/or 33199?

If you are using TurboTax CD/Download, you can’t enter amounts directly into those lines. You need to enter your medical expenses though the medical expense dialogue box. You can get there by clicking on the Forms icon, then search for “med”, and then selecting Medical - Medical Expenses.

If you are using TurboTax Online, there is no ability to edit the actual forms. To enter medical expenses, use the “Find” tool (magnifying glass) to search for “med”. Select “Medical Expenses Profile” from the list and then click the “Go” button. Check off “Medical receipts – 2022” (line 33099) and “You paid medical expenses for a dependant (other than your spouse or children under 18 years of age)” (line 33199) and then click the “Continue” button to move through the pages.

Following this thread. Knowing how to do this would be a workaround for a bug I'm experiencing with the medical expenses worksheet. Information from the medical expenses slip is not being fed to the medical expenses worksheet. I haven't experienced this bug in previous year software versions.

Thanks.

Hi Susan,

Looks like I made a post while you were already answering to the OP. I'm using the TurboTax download, and the data entered into the medical expense dialogue box isn't being fed to the medical expenses worksheet. It stays blank even though I've tried selecting "save and close" and "go to medical expense worksheet".

Is this an error on my part, or possibly a software bug?

Thanks.

@DeepOrange 

Please double check the claim period that you've entered at the top of the worksheet. If the 12 month period is not one that includes the dates of your medical expenses, then the sheet will blank out. Ex: If you entered one expense on Dec 21, 2022, but your claim period ends Dec 1, 2022, the sheet will be empty because you have no receipts for that period.

I did have a date out of range by mistake. Amazing, thank you!