Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of error message for designated principal residence?

Sale of cottage property owned since 1992, designating 16 years (15 +1) as principal residence and 25 years for total years owned.  I have split the revenue and expenses 50/50 with my spouse and indicated that I am splitting with my spouse.  No errors on my return but my husband keeps getting the following  error message: You have reported the sale of your principal residence(s), but there is an error with the year of acquisition entered, number of years it was your principal residence and/or the number of years you have owned the property. The number of years the property was your principal residence cannot be greater than the number of years you have owned the property. The number of years you have owned the property cannot be greater than the number of years since the year you acquired the property (include the year you acquired the property and the current tax year in the count). Otherwise, review the year of acquisition entered. 

1 Reply

How to get rid of error message for designated principal residence?

Please call us. Here's how to reach us: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3152013